CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chicks & Pigs

Last year Brinton talked my mom and dad into getting chicks this spring. [part of the reason he wanted to get chickens is so that he can see a chicken run around with its head cut off--gross I know but he does want to see it--I am just grateful for my mom and dad giving my kids these opportunities]
So my mom and dad got out their books about raising chickens and read up on what they needed to do. Brinton spent hours with his Grandpa - in sometimes not great weather fixing up the chicken coop. We spent money on new heat lamps, feeders, and waterers just so we would be ready for the baby chicks to arrive. My mom and dad picked up the chicks while we were in Bear Lake {Brinton called them three times that day just to make sure that the chicks were ok} So before we even got home from our trip to Bear Lake the kids begged us to take them to Grma & Grpa Anderson's to see the chicks. I must say that there is nothing like a baby animal. When you walk up to the chicken coop door you can hear all the little cheep cheeps. It is pretty fun.

Then to hold the little chick in your hand. They are so soft and cute.
Andrew was just laughing. He thought they were great too.
A few weeks before the chicks came--my brother Jay decided that it would be a good summer to raise some pigs so we could have some yummy pork in our freezers. So he brought 4 baby pigs to my dad's. They are pretty cute too. However we haven't been able to catch one to pet it. The kids got in the pen one day and tried to catch one--that was a pretty funny sight.

In the next few weeks I think we might even go to auction and gett a couple cows. It is going to be a fun summer down on Grandpa's Farm this summer!!

7 comments:

Tina said...

That is fun! I know a lot of people who want chickens...I think it's kind of weird, but having fresh eggs would be fantastic! I wonder what the zoning is and what Jeff would say...

Mrs. KIR said...

OH OH MY!!! Reminds me of my dad's! Your Parents are AWESOME for letting the grand kids do this!!! Can they adopt a few more grand kids for a few days?

Julie said...

Tristan's cousin lives way out in the country and has a whole bunch of baby farm animals. This has convinced me that we need to make the trip out.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! What fun to raise your own chickens cows and pigs!!! OH MY!!! Remember if you have eggs I get first dibs on extras!!!! I love fresh eggs.

Sermons of the Day said...

That is such a great thing you and your Mom and Dad are doing. If you sell fresh eggs let me know.

Melissa said...

Hey Joy! I just came across your blog on Jana's blog...Is it ok if I add you to my blog?

Melissa Anderson :)

Anonymous said...

fun! The chicken with the head cut off sounds like a boy to me. I grew up with chicks and chickens and they are so cute until a toddler squeezes them a little too tight. That will be a great memory for your family. So, what's up with all the tractors and breaking cement, etc. It looks like your staying in the neighborhood to me. Yea!