CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Gardens...are they worth it???

So today it is state wide teacher inservice so my children were home from school.

Our plan for the day was to let me excersice, get everyone ready, start the dishwasher, and help my mom and dad clean out their garden.

So after we got everything we could get done at our house --we packed up and went to Grandma & Grandpa Anderson's to work on cleaning out the garden.
((I didn't have my camera-so I didn't get to take any pictures of our day))

So first of all we walked in to the house and it smelled so strong of pickles- it almost pushed me out of the door as I tried to walk in. So we walked out the back door as quickly as we walked in.

Then we moved to the garden. The little trailer was hooked up to the four-wheeler and my dad, Brinton, Brock and Jaden filled it up with weeds and then took the weeds into the pasture for the cows. While Logan and I picked the pumpkins and pulled the vines. Hattie and Breanna were helping grandma. We took many trips to the pasture. About half way through my dad said, "When we are doing all the cleaning up it makes one wonder if planting a garden is worth it" Boy is that true. The easy part is planting and harvesting--the hard part is preparing the dirt, weeding, and cleaning up in the fall to be ready for the next season.

However, as hard of work as we did today--we picked about 25 big pumpkins, 35 jack-be-little pumpkins, a bucket of carrots, a bucket of green peppers, a bucket of potatoes, and took about 10 loads of weed to the pasture and there is still more to do but that will be another days adventures----The best part of the whole day for me as a mom was to watch my children with their grandparents--working together and having a fun day doing some good hard work!! Now to me that is a priceless moment.

The other priceless moment for the day was watching my 11 month old (after he had eaten his lunch) take an oreo cookie and break it apart (yes by himself) and eat all of the frosting out and leave the cookie for whoever would eat it. Pretty funny!!

3 comments:

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Gardens grow a lot more than food - there are so many lessons learned there and so many memories cultivated. As much as I loathed gardening and working on the farm with my mom and dad, those are the things that come back to me as my "good memories" from my childhood. Gardens are worth it! I hope you got a drink with no floaties in it when you were done!!!

Anonymous said...

when I read your tiltle, my first thought was no, gardens are not worth it! Because as you may recall, my experience is a lot of weeding, and NO produce to speak of--thank you again kind nieghbors who feel sorry for me and give me your overflow! BUT, when I read your post, i realized, I have just been doing it wrong, I just need ot move closer to your parents and reep your garden benfits:)

beautiful post, by the way!

Tina said...

I saw you yesterday :) I even thought about taking a picture, but I was in a hurry.
I want a garden. Hopefully next year.